Patience doesn’t offer many immediate rewards. Kari Scare of Struggle to Victory offers us a new way of thinking about patience that’s very motivating:
Looking at the benefits of patience through “If… then…” logic has helped me gain a renewed ambition to become more patient and as a result to further defeat any control my temper might try to exert.
- IF I want to grow, THEN I need to be patient.
- IF I want to harvest, THEN I must wait after I plant.
- IF I am patient with others, THEN love and unity will grow.
- IF I want to overcome temptation, THEN patience must be a rule.
- IF I want to win over my enemies, THEN I must employ patient persuasion.
- IF I am patient with others, THEN I am showing love.
- IF the Holy Spirit controls my life, THEN patience will grow within me.
- IF I love one others, THEN I won’t get hung up on faults.
- IF I exercise patience, THEN I act counter-culturally.
Be patient, then, brothers and sisters, until the Lord’s coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop, patiently waiting for the autumn and spring rains. James 5:7